Demo. Home, Local Stories, Gnosall People and Newport Road are built. Other menu items are placeholders.

Gnosall History

Email Bob Johnson at Gnosall History

Newport Road, Gnosall

Click on any of the coloured spots below for further details.

  • Detail — photographs and notes
  • Story — leads to a fuller account
  • History — leads to a property history
1880 Ordnance Survey, 25 inch
Ordnance Survey map of Newport Road, Gnosall, surveyed in 1880.
1900 Ordnance Survey, 25 inch
Ordnance Survey map of Newport Road, Gnosall, surveyed in 1900.
1920 Ordnance Survey, 25 inch · 13 marked properties
Ordnance Survey map of Newport Road, Gnosall, surveyed in 1920, marked with pins for thirteen properties.

Old Map

  • The Navigation

    Licensees:

    1851
    George Bond
    1868
    Samuel Addison
    1880
    Henry Fowell
    1900
    Alfred Tye
    1932
    George Hammond
    1940
    John Marsden
  • Coton Mill

    Steam powered flour mill.

    Built in the 1840s and in use until late 1890s

    Property History

  • Ebenezer Chapel

    Used by William Wilder for Plymouth Brethren.

    Later became Walker’s hardware store. Now private property.

  • Coton Post Office

    Run for many years by Sidney Yates

  • William Bentley

    Operated a garage from here. Also tuned and raced motorbikes

  • Willycroft

    Built about 1904 by Dr. Steele from where the Doll Factory was operated during WW1

    See Doll Factory Video

  • Sunnyside

    Built about 1898.

    Property nearest to Newport was a private school for many years.

  • London Villas

    Built about 1898

  • Rose Villa

    Was Gnosall Police Station

  • Ben & Frank Stacey

    Operated a timber business from here.

    Photo shows old workshop

  • John Liversage

    Operated a fuel and fertiliser business from here.

    Later became Stacey Gardens

  • John Liversage

    Operated a fuel and fertiliser business from here.

    Later became the Fish and Chip Shop

  • Royal Oak

    Licensees:

    1851
    Ezekiel Butler
    1868
    Ezekiel Butler
    1880
    Mary Butler
    1900
    William Brown
    1912
    William Brown
    1932
    Thomas Waine
    1940
    Thomas Waine

Photograph Gallery

Click any photo and it will be enlarged. Navigation buttons at the bottom of the enlarged photo allows you to move through the pictures or to run a slideshow.

Street Videos

Gnosall History: Newport Road, Gnosall, Staffs, England — watch on YouTube. The embedded player needs the page served over http; opened straight from disk YouTube blocks it (error 153).

The Navigation

The Navigation public house, with a motor car outside.

Licensees:

1851
George Bond
1868
Samuel Addison
1880
Henry Fowell
1900
Alfred Tye
1932
George Hammond
1940
John Marsden

Coton Mill

Coton Mill, a tall brick mill building beside the water.
Coton Mill seen from the bridge, with its chimney behind.
Advertisement for J. J. Walwyn & Son self-raising flour, Gnosall, Staffs.

Steam powered flour mill.

Built in the 1840s and in use until late 1890s

Property History

Ebenezer Chapel

The Ebenezer Chapel, a brick building with arched windows on a corner.

Used by William Wilder for Plymouth Brethren.

Later became Walker’s hardware store. Now private property.

Coton Post Office

The street at Coton, with figures and a horse in the road.
The S. H. Yates grocer shopfront, its window full of packets and tins.

Run for many years by Sidney Yates

William Bentley

William Bentley’s garage premises, with vehicles in the yard.

Operated a garage from here. Also tuned and raced motorbikes

Willycroft

Built about 1904 by Dr. Steele from where the Doll Factory was operated during WW1

See Doll Factory Video

Sunnyside

Large houses set back behind trees on Newport Road.
Postcard captioned “Newport Rd Gnosall”.

Built about 1898.

Property nearest to Newport was a private school for many years.

London Villas

London Villas about 1905, a pair of tall brick villas.

Built about 1898

Rose Villa

Rose Villa, with a motor car drawn up outside.

Was Gnosall Police Station

Ben & Frank Stacey

The old Stacey timber workshop behind a fence.

Operated a timber business from here.

Photo shows old workshop

John Liversage

The workshop building on the site that became Stacey Gardens.
Studio portrait of John Liversage.

Operated a fuel and fertiliser business from here.

Later became Stacey Gardens

John Liversage

The building that later became the fish and chip shop.
Studio portrait of John Liversage.

Operated a fuel and fertiliser business from here.

Later became the Fish and Chip Shop

Royal Oak

The Royal Oak, a white rendered public house on the corner, with railings.

Licensees:

1851
Ezekiel Butler
1868
Ezekiel Butler
1880
Mary Butler
1900
William Brown
1912
William Brown
1932
Thomas Waine
1940
Thomas Waine